Tempeh Power Bowl
If you’ve never tried tempeh before, this Tempeh Power Bowl recipe is a delicious place to start. And if you already love tempeh, this recipe with a sweet and savory sauce and lots of colorful fruits and veggies will be something you’ll want to make again and again.
Tempeh contains about 5 grams of protein per ounce, and is a great way to add lean protein to your diet. It can be cooked in a variety of ways and, like tofu, absorbs the flavor of any marinade or sauce you cook it with.
Both tofu and tempeh are also made from soy beans, but whereas tofu is made from soymilk, tempeh is made when whole soybeans are pressed together into a thick cake. If you aren’t a fan of tofu, you might prefer tempeh’s firmer texture. And, if you don’t like one brand of tempeh, definitely consider trying another as each has a slightly different flavor, especially as some producers add flax seeds or whole grains to change the texture and increase the fiber.
Watch how we made it in the video below!
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 tsp. sesame oil
- 12 oz. organic tempeh, cut into squares or triangles
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small oranges (like mandarins or clementines), peeled, separated into sections
- 1 cup cubed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 medium avocado, cut into cubes
Here are your instructions:
Preheat oven to 400° F.
To make dressing, combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Place tempeh in a glass casserole dish. Top with half of dressing; toss gently to blend. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once. Remove foil; cook for 5 more minutes. Do not let tempeh dry out. Cool.
While tempeh is baking, assemble bowls by evenly dividing salad greens, onion, oranges, sweet potatoes, and avocado between four serving bowls.
Top bowls evenly with tempeh and drizzle evenly with remaining dressing.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Give Your Goals a Punch - February 21, 2020
- Turmeric Talk - February 13, 2020
- Limited Time to Exercise? Some Time Management Talk - January 23, 2020