Savory Irish Oats with Turkey Bacon, Cheddar, and Chives
It’s time to ditch the notion that oatmeal is only a sweet breakfast to be topped with maple syrup, raisins, or berries. Oatmeal’s neutral flavor profile is perfect for savory dishes as well, and leaves lots of room for creativity. Start thinking of oatmeal in the same way you would polenta or grits, which are often topped with braised meats, sautéed mushrooms, or grilled shrimp.
These steel cut Irish oats are cooked with vegetable broth and almond milk, then topped with turkey bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions. The finishing touch is a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt. Crack some fresh pepper over everything, if you’re so inclined, grab a spoon, and dig in.
You see? Eggs aren’t the only option for a savory breakfast anymore. Although, a sunny side up or soft boiled egg would make a incredible topper to this breakfast bowl.
- 3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup dry steel-cut oats
- 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 6 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
Here are your instructions:
Bring broth and almond milk to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
Add oats and salt. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add turkey bacon, cheese, and chives; mix well.
Evenly divide porridge between four serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1 Tbsp. yogurt; serve immediately.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023