There are few things more comforting than a warm bowl of clam chowder on a chilly day. We modified this New England favorite to create a dish that’s both hearty and healthy, while still being as rich and delicious as you’d expect it to be. Our version has 15 grams of protein and only 185 calories!
The Best Clam Chowder Ever!
- 5 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1½ tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme (or dried thyme leaves)
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1½ cups clam juice
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chopped clams
Time Cook! Here Instrucstions
Heat 2 tsp. oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add turkey bacon and onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
Add celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Add vegetable broth and clam juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Gently boil for 15 minutes.
Heat remaining 3 tsp. oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add 1 cup of hot liquid from medium saucepan; whisk until well blended. Add this thickened mixture back to medium saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Add almond milk and clams; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023