Avocado Toast with Pumpkin Seeds
Basic avocado toast gets a new twist with shelled pumpkin or sunflower seeds as the crunchy finishing touch. This variation is as easy as sprinkling some seeds and crushed red pepper flakes on top of a lime and mashed avocado mix. Toasting the seeds in a hot skillet for about 30 seconds brings out their nutty flavor, and is worth the extra effort. Want to add protein? Top your toast with a poached egg or scrambled egg whites.
- 1 ripe medium avocado, mashed
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp. fresh lime (or lemon juice)
- 4 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread, toasted
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin (or sunflower) seeds, toasted
Here are your instructions:
Combine avocado, salt, pepper, pepper flakes (if desired), and lime juice in a medium bowl; mash until well mixed and slightly chunky.
Evenly spread avocado onto each slice of toast. Top evenly with pumpkin seeds.