Sweet Potato Latkes
Latkes are delicious. But most recipes call for white potatoes, lots of oil, and sour cream. These sweet potatoes create a healthier version of a traditional favorite that your family will love.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, grated
- ¾ medium onion, grated, squeezing out as much liquid as possible
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. whole grain Japanese-style bread crumbs (like Panko)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 tsp. reduced fat (2%) plain yogurt
Here are your instructions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Combine sweet potatoes, onion, egg, flour, bread crumbs, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
Using ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop mixture into rounds and form into patties. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Brush the tops evenly with oil; bake for 15 minutes. Flip latkes and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
Serve latkes topped evenly with yogurt.
Tip: Latkes can be made one day ahead. Follow steps 1 to 4. Cover baking sheet and store in the refrigerator for one day. Bake them right before serving.