Summer White Bean Salad with Lemon and Dill
The classic three bean salad is a staple at summer barbecues and potlucks. It doesn’t hurt that grilled meats pair well with tangy chilled beans and aromatics, but it’s even better that a summer white bean salad is a budget-friendly dish that can be put together in minutes.
Beachbody put a new twist on the traditional white bean salad by replacing onion with its mellower cousin the shallot, adding a generous helping of fresh herbs and using large, creamy butter beans, smaller navy beans, and raw green beans for the bean trio. If you can, select thin green beans for this summer bean salad, as they’re the most tender. As green bean pods get larger, they become more fibrous and a can be a little tough.
Raw green beans add a bit of crunchiness to the salad. If crunchiness isn’t your thing, cut the beans and place them in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water for one to three minutes. When they’re tender-crisp, remove them from heat, and plunge them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. This helps them hold onto their bright color but also allows them to soften up a bit.
To put the white bean salad together, start by preparing the dressing. Place the finely chopped shallots in a large bowl with lemon zest and lemon juice and set the bowl aside for about five minutes. Then, add the beans, fresh herbs, and olive oil, and stir. You can serve it right away if you’re in a hurry, but it will taste even better if you let the flavors meld in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
Watch the video below to see how it’s made!
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon peel (lemon zest)
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz. green beans, ends trimmed, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15-oz.) can navy beans (or black eyed peas), rinsed, drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can butter beans (or lima beans), rinsed, drained
- ½ cup fresh dill (or basil, or parsley), chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Here are your instructions:
Combine shallot, lemon peel, and lemon juice in a large bowl; mix well. Let sit for five minutes.
Add green beans, navy beans, butter beans, dill, and oil. Season with salt and pepper if desired; toss gently to blend.
Chill, covered, in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Limited Time to Exercise? Some Time Management Talk - January 23, 2020
- Milk Power - January 9, 2020
- Hello 2020 A New Decade! - January 3, 2020