Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 to 3 1/2-pound beef chuck roast
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 small turnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut in eighths
- 1 can (14 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 envelope (1 oz.) dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Brown beef on both sides.
Meanwhile, place half of the carrots, turnips, rutabaga and onion in bottom of slow cooker crock.
Place beef on top of vegetables in crock. Arrange remaining vegetables around beef.
In a medium bowl, mix cranberry sauce, soup mix, cranberries, cornstarch, cinnamon, thyme, pepper, allspice and cloves. Pour over beef and vegetables.
Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning beef, place cookware in base, follow recipe as directed above.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023