Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
In this recipe, add sautéed vegetables, ground chicken, beans, corn, fire-roasted tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and Mexican spices to a slow cooker. Then, simply turn it on and walk away! Three hours later, dinner is ready and all you have to do is spoon into bowls, top with cheese, green onions, and cilantro, and serve.
Now, before you rush straight to the comments section to tell me that this slow cooked chicken and farro recipe doesn’t really make enchiladas, hear me out. The word enchilada means seasoned with chile (which this recipe is) and when the farro slow-cooks with fire-roasted tomatoes in enchilada sauce, it absorbs all of the flavors and tastes just like corn tortillas that have been dipped in sauce and baked. The finished dish tastes just like cheesy chicken enchiladas.
You’ll be glad that this recipe makes 10 hearty servings! It’s so good, you might want to eat the leftovers for breakfast. It tastes amazing topped with a sunny side-up egg.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
- 1 lb. raw ground chicken breast
- 1½ cups dry farro, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced fire roasted tomatoes (or diced tomatoes), no salt added
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10-oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1 cup shredded jack (or cheddar or Mexican blend) cheese
- 3 medium green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Here are your instructions:
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
Add garlic and jalapenos; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until jalapenos are soft.
Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Place chicken mixture, farro, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, and coriander in a 3-quart slow cooker; mix well and cover. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until liquid has been absorbed, and farro is tender.
Remove lid and stir mixture. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Add cheese; mix well. Cover until cheese has melted.
Top with green onions and cilantro; serve.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023