Rainbow Veggie Skewers
Spring and summer bring with them a rainbow of vibrantly-colored fruits and vegetables that beg to be combined into gorgeous meals that please the eye as well as satisfy a hungry belly.
With red tomatoes and peppers, orange and yellow peppers, yellow and green summer squash, green peppers, purple beets and red onions these veggie skewers celebrate the whole ROYGBIV spectrum!
Each color of fruit and vegetable in this recipe contains a different set of phytonutrients, and many of them have astounding health benefits, which is why it’s important to enjoy fruits and vegetables in all colors of the rainbow.
To create these Rainbow Vegetable Skewers, string them like colorful jewels onto wood or metal skewers, brush them with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill or broil them for 6–8 minutes. If you use wood or bamboo skewers, soak the skewers in water for 10–20 minutes before adding the vegetables. This will help prevent the skewers from burning.
And, this recipe is super customizable. Don’t love one of the ingredients below? Swap it out for another that you do like. Other foods that grill well include mangoes, peaches, pineapples, grapes, mushrooms, and eggplant.
- 2 cooked medium beets, cut into 8 ½ to 1-inch slices
- ½ medium red onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 8 slices
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut 8 pieces
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 8 slices
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, cut 8 pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 cherry (or grape) tomatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Italian herbs (optional)
Here are your instructions:
Preheat grill or broiler on high.
Place a piece of beet, a piece of onion, two pieces of green bell pepper, a piece of zucchini, two pieces of yellow bell pepper, a piece of squash, two pieces of orange bell pepper, two pieces of red bell pepper, and a tomato onto a skewer. Repeat with seven remaining skewers.
Brush skewers evenly with oil. Sprinkle with herbs if desired.
Grill skewers for 6 to 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
Latest posts by Coach (see all)
- Limited Time to Exercise? Some Time Management Talk - January 23, 2020
- Milk Power - January 9, 2020
- Hello 2020 A New Decade! - January 3, 2020